March 10, 2008

Tabu interview

Most of you SLP readers probably know that the gorgeous and gifted Tabu is Shabana Azmi's niece - through, I believe, Shaukat Kaifi's side, the Hyderabadi side of Shabana ji's family. And so when I was tickled today by this interview with Tabu I thought I would share it with all of you.

Tabu is a private person and doesn't much enjoy talking to the press or going on junkets to promote her films. She seems to intersperse high profile projects with regional projects that keep her closer to her Hyderabad home. In fact the only thing that really got her talking was complaining about the media at large:

Q: Recently, there were reports of you doing Deepak Tijori's film in English, Zoya Akhtar's untitled project opposite Farhan Akhtar and Shoojit Sircar's Shoebite starring Amitabh Bachchan. But you have denied that you are working on these films.

A: (Sighs) The directors and I were only in the process of talking about whether or not to do the films. I was never doing them. I hope to find better ways to deal with such reports. So far, the only way I've dealt with them is detaching myself from them so that they don't occupy my mindspace.To be honest, I'm unable to cope with the media's intrusion in our lives. I can't handle "who wore what, who ate what, who said what"kind of reportage. I tell myself to ignore it. Even denying such news would give it undeserved importance. I have just two requests. I wish the directors refrain from announcing that I am doing their film until I sign the contract and that the media publishes better pictures of me.
I enjoyed this comment and hopes she gets her wish:
Q: What is that one role that you really want to do?

A: A waitress in an American diner kind of setting. I like those characters.

No comments: