August 5, 2007

Dus kahaniyaan

Those Amitabh Bachchan fans don't know how good they have it, with Big B gracing six or eight films a year with his formidable presence, often even in starring roles. Here at SLP, we have to exercise a bit more patience, enduring long waits between new-release cinematic visits with Shabana Azmi.

I don't begrudge milady her selectivity when it comes to making movies - there are other pursuits that are more important to her at the moment, whether social activism or socializing, she has no responsibility to appear in more movies just because I'd like to see her. Even so, I look forward to each new appearance with great eagerness. 2007 has thus far brought the magnificent Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd., along with great accolades for Loins of Punjab Presents, though I may not be able to see that one for some time. And before the year is out, there will be one more chance to see Shabana ji on the big screen, in White Feather Productions' Dus Kahaaniyan ("ten stories"), a multi-story experimental film featuring ten unconnected tales spun by ten different directors, scheduled for October release.

Dus Kahaniyaan is particularly exciting because it marks the first time that Shabana ji and Naseeruddin Shah will appear together on screen in almost 20 years. Their contribution to Dus Kahaniyaan is a 10-minute short called Rice Plate by Rohit Roy, in which Shabana ji plays a Tamilian Brahmin woman. Here's a Times of India article about that from a couple of months ago with more on the film. And here is the poster for Dus Kahaniyaan (click for a larger version):



And a close-up of the bit that's most relevant to this blog:



I can't wait to see more, and of course when I do you will be the first to know.

2 comments:

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

Ooooh! That looks fun. And it had better be better than Salaam-e-Ishq. I just went to IndiaFM to look for stills, and not only do they just have the poster, they don't even list Shabana and Nasseruddin in the cast. On a side note, I hate that so many places list the male stars first, no matter the caliber of the women. Maybe Hollywood is like that too and I've never noticed.

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

Oops, one more. I readily admit that I may be finding this because I'm looking for it, but: that Times of India article has a quote chock-full of the cockiness I am beginning to associate with Nasseruddin. “I can’t do just any film with Shabana because she’s keen to work with me. The vehicle has to justify our collective presence." In one sense, fair enough, you're both big stars with a strong reputations in art films. But the vocabulary...vehicle, presence. I love his performances but I'm beginning to think I don't really need to read him very often. Back in the winter he had a ridiculous piece in Filmfare about the craft of acting (at least, I think that's what he was saying) and it was soooooo bloated. It wasn't even the lotus growing out of standard Filmfare muck. It was just bad.